Right now, millions of people face extreme uncertainty and rising energy poverty. There is no excuse for the EU and national governments to allow colossal profits and wealth to be accumulated when our most vulnerable communities have already paid the social cost of under-investment. When billions of euros are being extracted from Europe’s energy system to boost bottom lines, it’s unacceptable to ask our communities to accept further cuts and deepening austerity.
At this critical time, EU and national government politicians need to focus on the things that matter to households and communities struggling in the face of another winter of rising debts, disconnections and despair. They must also be aware that, in a general cost of living crisis, even simply maintaining the support made available to households may not shield them from energy poverty.
This winter, the Right to Energy Coalition has the following demands to EU and member state governments:
- Immediate emergency support for those most in need of energy
- A ban on disconnections
- No one is forced into debt to access the energy they need for a dignified life
- Measures like social tariffs are expanded using utility provider profit
- Wider social protections to shield vulnerable renters and home owners
- Communities and social actors are brought in to design any crisis response
- Regulate energy providers to ensure fair and transparent pricing and practices
- Energy and utility profits are redirected into urgently needed household support and investment into fixing the long-term causes of energy poverty
- Relaunch a renovation wave this winter to deliver decent, affordable and energy efficient homes for all
- Energy For All
Read the full manifesto here.