Together with 40 other organisations, we wrote to the European Council, Commission and Parliament to urge them to make the reformed Common Agricultural Policy (CAP) greener, fairer and healthier. We’re calling for the following principles to be included in the new CAP:
- Incorporate the principles, objectives and targets of the Green Deal into the CAP to give national Strategic Plans a clear direction from their design all the way to their approval and performance reviews
- Fully implement the ‘do no harm’ principle into the CAP through strong environmental and social conditionality and safeguards
- Empower farmers and rural actors to adopt climate-, nature-, people-, and animal-friendly farming practices and models through fair and effective CAP support
- Adopt adequate instruments to manage and regulate agricultural markets to limit overproduction, which causes waste, price crashes for farmers, and contributes to unsustainable trade, and to increase the fairness and transparency of supply chains
- Ensure good governance in the new CAP through strong rules on transparency, accountability of Member States for EU budget spending, civil society participation, and performance monitoring and reporting against robust indicators.