Deadline for applications: March 10, 2024
Location: Brussels, Belgium (Hybrid Work Option Available)
Employment Type: Full-Time or part time (3-5 days a week), 1 year contract with permanent after that depending on performance, employment contract under Belgian legislation, with residency in Belgium
Friends of the Earth Europe (FoEE) campaigns at the heart of Europe for sustainable and just societies and for the protection of the environment. We are the largest grassroots environmental network in Europe, uniting 32 national organisations with thousands of local groups as part of Friends of the Earth International. Our vision is of a peaceful and sustainable world, founded on social, economic, racial, gender and environmental justice and free from all forms of domination and exploitation.
We are looking for a Coordinator for People, Culture, and Wellbeing who will work as part of the Coordination and Management Team to bring our work on HR, culture and wellbeing to a new level.
If successful, you will lead FoE Europe’s work on people, culture, and wellbeing. This role, based in Brussels, offers a unique opportunity to shape and enhance the organizational culture, ensuring the wellbeing of staff, interns, and volunteers. You will be at the forefront of developing and implementing policies, systems, and processes, focusing on HR, diversity, equality, inclusion, and training. Your leadership will create clear, meaningful organizational systems within legal frameworks, significantly improving staff support and wellbeing.
As the Coordinator for People, Culture, and Wellbeing, you will manage key roles, drive HR management, and lead initiatives in wellbeing and culture. This position demands a commitment to environmental and social justice and fluency in English and French. You will use your experience in HR, excellent interpersonal skills, and ability to work in a multicultural team to make a lasting impact on FoE Europe. This role is not just a job, it’s an opportunity to be a part of a movement driving positive change for a sustainable and just world.
This is an excellent opportunity to be part of an environmental justice NGO working at the European level. Join us and play a pivotal role in our mission at Friends of the Earth Europe!
People (HR) management:
- Ensure development, review and implementation of HR and administrative policies and procedures to meet legal requirements and to support organisational effectiveness, including supervision of various preventive measures at the office level
- Streamlining and monitoring of policies and procedures across teams
Implementation of FoEE’s salary policy, including annual evaluation processes and application of competency levels
- Participate and support dialogue with staff representatives
- Address grievances
- Follows up legal changes and development related to HR, labour laws, CBAs etc. Brief staff and Line Managers on all relevant legal and policy changes
- Guide and build capacity of Line Managers in the organisation
- Monitoring and improving the employee lifecycle
- Ensure development and implementation of training policy
- Ensure good system of induction of new staff, interns and volunteers
- Ensure development, review and implementation of FOEE handover process when employees re leaving and follow up on exit interviews
Wellbeing and culture
- Lead on and implement wellbeing policies and activities
- Develop a yearly wellbeing social report for the FoEE AGM
- Ensure that the wellbeing and prevention trimestral updates are submitted to the Director and CMT
- Lead on and implement DEI policies and activities
- Guide and build capacity of Line Managers in the organisation
- Development and implementation of volunteer and internship programme and support to volunteers
- Support IT manager to lead, supervise or support specific IT systems and internal communications. Support and develop staff working on IT by ensuring the review and implementation of relevant IT policies, an annual equipment purchase plan, IT-related development projects within the office and IT and security and awareness trainings
- Ensure adequate working space and work equipment, maintain contacts with landlord
- Support office manager to ensure the smooth running of the office including e.g. managing internal communication, staff meetings, office space, facilities and equipment
- Support Events Manager in prioritisation and workload management
- Implement legal requirements related to administration and governance and sign off relevant documents and budgets
Requirements for the role-holder:
- Commitment to FoEE’s vision, mission and values
- Demonstrated personal commitment to environmental and social justice
- Fluency in English and French
- Experience in HR within the Belgian legal framework
- Proven ability to work with and through a multidisciplinary and multicultural team
- Demonstrated commitment to providing exceptional service for their internal clients
- A track record of excellent inter-personal communication skills and ability to negotiate
- Track record of excellent negotiation skills
- Able to ‘translate’ complex organisational data into clear and simple information for a range of audiences
- Able to work in the Brussels office and residency (work permit) in Belgium
- Able to travel abroad, sometimes for trips of several days Ability to undertake occasional evening and weekend work.
- A background in NGO or voluntary activities
- Prevention advisor certification
- Experience with DEI strategies and efforts
- Ability to speak any other of the EU languages
- Ability to speak Dutch
- Experience of operating as a manager of people, culture, and/or system within an organisation of comparable scale and complexity
- A track record of delivering successful organisational change/development initiatives of varying scale
The position is offered as an 80-100% for a period of twelve months. It can be made permanent, subject to satisfactory performance and available funding. We offer a salary between 4326 € and 5815 € gross (for 100%), depending on a competency assessment.
FoEE offers an attractive benefits package, including a 13th month salary, lunch vouchers, an additional 5 days of holidays per year, pension scheme, hospitalisation and comprehensive travel insurance. We also offer full coverage of train travel in case of commuting within Belgium. FoEE offers a motivating working environment in an international office located in an environmentally-friendly NGO building.
To carry out the job, the team member must be based in Belgium. The job is subject to FoEE’s teleworking policy, which allows for hybrid working.
FoEE actively welcomes candidates of all descriptions, regardless of age, sexual orientation, marital status, wealth, religious, philosophical or political beliefs, language, present or future state of health, disability, physical or genetic characteristics, gender, pregnancy, parental status, change of sex, nationality, race, skin colour, ancestry, nationality, descent, national or ethnic or social origin. FoE Europe strives to make our office as diverse as possible.
Send your cv and a motivation letter describing how you meet the above-mentioned requirements by March 10, 2024 by 23.59h CET to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include “Coordinator for People, Wellbeing and Culture Application” in the subject line.
Due to the volume of applications, we will contact only short-listed candidates – thank you for your understanding.