Deadline: 26 November 2023
Based in: Friends of the Earth Europe, Brussels
Friends of the Earth Europe (FoEE) campaigns at the heart of Europe for sustainable and just societies and for the protection of the environment. We are the largest grassroots environmental network in Europe, uniting 32 national organisations with thousands of local groups as part of Friends of the Earth International. Our vision is of a peaceful and sustainable world, founded on social, economic, racial, gender and environmental justice and free from all forms of domination and exploitation.
We are looking for a campaigner who will work as a member of the climate justice and energy team, for a period of 12 months, starting January 2024 and based in the FoEE office in Brussels.
If successful you will lead FoE Europe’s work on gas, as part of our campaign for a fossil free Europe.
Are you burning to take on the fossil fuel industry and win? Are you passionate about climate justice and have a flair for smart, strategic campaigning? Do you want to be part of a talented team campaigning for a socially fair energy transition with Friends of the Earth in Brussels? Then this job is for you!
Having already successfully campaigned against fracking and shifted the debate on fossil gas lock-in FoE Europe is now taking on the challenge of a full gas phaseout and a dismantling of Europe’s fossil fuel dependence! The gas campaign is in the vanguard of the movement to stop the fossil fuel industry. We are now campaigning to end fossil gas in Europe and ensure that new fake solutions like fossil fuel hydrogen do not become embedded in Europe’s energy system We campaign with FoE Europe member groups, both inside and outside the EU and work closely with allies in Brussels and at the national level. This post is expected to lead and expand this campaign to ensure that Europe rejects fossil gas and becomes Fossil Free. The campaigner will report to and be task managed by the coordinator of the Climate Justice and Energy team.
This is an excellent opportunity to be part of an environmental justice NGO working at the European level and a vibrant European network.
- Develop FoEE’s policies, expertise and strategies on fossil fuels, in particular, gas, and lead advocacy work on gas;
- Develop and implement the FoEE gas campaign’ activities e.g. stunts, petitions etc, in close cooperation with other members of the climate justice and energy team;
- Support and strengthen the European movement against fossil fuels, in particular gas, including supporting FoEE member groups in the preparation of campaigns in relation to gas and the development of fossil fuel infrastructure;
- Coordinate activities and strategies with key allies;
- Produce press releases and diverse online (social media) and offline communication materials like briefings, reports, studies, blog articles, infographics, videos, and op-eds, in close cooperation with communications colleagues;
- Use social media effectively and creatively;
- Represent FoEE externally, including to the media and at external events;
- Carry out and deliver on annual planning, budgeting and fundraising
- Maintain an overview of the key relevant research, events and policy developments;
- Report to and advise the coordinator of the Climate Justice and Energy team on the campaign;
- Contribute to development of strategy and tactics of the Climate Justice and Energy program beyond the specific campaign on gas
Requirements for the role-holder:
- Strong commitment to, and passion to match, the values, vision and mission of Friends of the Earth Europe;
- A minimum of three years’ experience in working with an NGO, preferably at EU or international level, including advocacy work and campaigning on energy and/or climate issues. Experience of campaigning on gas is an advantage;
- Experience in managing campaigns including the various responsibilities involved (such as fundraising and reporting, research, planning, lobbying, communications);
- Experience in dealing with stakeholders from different backgrounds: such as decision-makers, NGOs, grassroots groups, FoEE member groups, activists, lobbyists, researchers, media, etc.;
- Experience in project management including proven ability to effectively adjust plans to rapidly changing circumstances;
- Good understanding of European energy and/or climate policy;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English, knowledge of other European working languages is a distinct advantage.;
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team;
- Motivation to exchange with and learn from colleagues;
- Ability to think out of the box and find new creative ways to campaign;
- Ability to attend evening/weekend meetings and undertake travel, mainly within Europe.
This position is offered as a full-time position in Brussels, Belgium for a period of twelve months. It can be made permanent, subject to satisfactory performance and available funding.
We offer a salary between € 3,678 and €4,313 gross, depending on a competency assessment.
FoEE offers an attractive benefits package, including a 13th month salary, lunch vouchers, an additional 5 days of holidays per year, pension scheme, hospitalisation and comprehensive travel insurance. We also offer full coverage of train travel in case of commuting within Belgium. FoEE offers a motivating working environment in an international office located in an environmentally-friendly NGO building.
To carry out the job, the team member must be based in Belgium. The job is subject to FoEE’s teleworking policy, which allows for hybrid working.
FoEE actively welcomes candidates of all descriptions, regardless of age, sexual orientation, marital status, wealth, religious, philosophical or political beliefs, language, present or future state of health, disability, physical or genetic characteristics, gender, pregnancy, parental status, change of sex, nationality, race, skin colour, ancestry, nationality, descent, national or ethnic or social origin. FoE Europe strives to make our office as diverse as possible.
Send your cv and a motivation letter describing how you meet the above-mentioned requirements by 26 November 2023 by 23.59h CET to email@example.com.
The ideal starting date of the post is January 2024.
Due to the volume of applications, we will contact only short-listed candidates – thank you for your understanding.