Deadline: 9 June 2023
Based in: Friends of the Earth Europe, Brussels
Friends of the Earth Europe (FoEE) campaigns at the heart of Europe for sustainable and just societies and for the protection of the environment. We are the largest grassroots environmental network in Europe, uniting 32 national organisations with thousands of local groups as part of Friends of the Earth International. Our vision is of a peaceful and sustainable world, founded on social, economic, racial, gender and environmental justice and free from all forms of domination and exploitation.
We are looking for a campaigner to support our work on Economic Justice, for a period of nine months, starting July 1, 2023 and based in the FoEE office in Brussels.
The campaigner will work within the Economic Justice (EJ) program, which currently has five main campaign areas: (1) trade and investment, (2) corporate accountability, (3) corporate capture and fossil free politics, (4) LNG in Mozambique and (5) solidarity and supporting human rights defenders. The campaigner will focus on the first two areas, more specifically on the campaign ‘Justice is Everybody’s Business’ and on the campaign against the EU-Mercosur trade agreement.
The campaigner will support the work of the lead campaigners on these topics, and mainly be responsible for organising bigger activities, events and actions as well as producing key communication materials working closely with FoEE’s communication team. The campaigner will also do outreach to our allies and other target groups and involving them in our campaigns, and work with FoEE member groups. The campaigner will not engage in direct advocacy work.
The campaigner will work closely together with colleagues in the EJ program who are each responsible for designing plans and strategies and doing the advocacy work on one of the five campaign areas.
For this position we are looking for an organised, creative, energetic and motivated individual. The campaigner will be line managed by the coordinator of the Economic Justice team.
This is an excellent opportunity to be part of an environmental justice NGO working at the European level and a vibrant European network.
- Contribute to developing strategies for the campaign areas;
- Develop and deliver activities, events and materials that contribute to the campaign aims and strategies, with a priority on trade and investment and corporate accountability (examples of activities: stunts, webinars, public debates, speaker tours, prop tours etc.);
- Engage FoE member groups (in Europe and around the world) relevant to our campaign and projects;
- Coordinate our activities and strategies with key allies;
- Organise campaign/programme meetings;
- Develop accessible communication tools that allow for increased public awareness and involvement in collaboration with colleagues in the communications team;
- Use social media effectively in collaboration;
- Contribute to the development of strategy and tactics of the Economic Justice program.
Requirements for the role-holder:
- Experience in working with an NGO at national or international level;
- Creativity: able to think out of the box and find new ways to campaign;
- Experience in managing, planning and delivering projects, events and bigger activities, including proven ability to adjust plans to rapidly changing circumstances;
- Experience in dealing with stakeholders from different backgrounds: NGOs, (FoEE) member groups, activists, lobbyists, researchers, media, politicians, grassroots movements, etc.;
- Understanding of problems related to economic justice, climate justice and human rights;
- Good oral and written communication skills in English;Desirable
- Commitment to FoEE’s vision, mission and values;
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team;
- Motivation to exchange with and learn from colleagues;
- Flexibility: able to attend evening/weekend meetings and undertake travel.
- Skills in Portuguese and/or Spanish are an asset.
This position is offered as a full-time position in Brussels, Belgium for a period of nine months.
We offer a salary between 3 026 € and 3 633 € gross, depending on a competency assessment.
FoEE offers an attractive benefits package, including a 13th month salary, lunch vouchers, an additional 5 days of holidays per year, pension scheme, hospitalisation and comprehensive travel insurance. We also offer full coverage of train travel in case of commuting within Belgium. FoEE offers a motivating working environment in an international office located in an environmentally-friendly NGO building.
To carry out the job, the team member must be based in Belgium. The job is subject to FoEE’s teleworking policy, which allows for hybrid working.
FoEE actively welcomes candidates of all descriptions, regardless of age, sexual orientation, marital status, wealth, religious, philosophical or political beliefs, language, present or future state of health, disability, physical or genetic characteristics, gender, pregnancy, parental status, change of sex, nationality, race, skin colour, ancestry, nationality, descent, national or ethnic or social origin. FoE Europe strives to make our office as diverse as possible.
Send your cv and a motivation letter describing how you meet the above-mentioned requirements by 9 June 2023 by 23.59h CET to email@example.com.
The ideal starting date of the post is 1 July 2023.
Due to the volume of applications, we will contact only short-listed candidates – thank you for your understanding.