Friends of the Earth Europe is seeking a Campaigner on Food, Agriculture and Nature (Maternity leave cover position).
Deadline: November 1, 2021 (Start date: January 2022)
Friends of the Earth Europe campaigns at the heart of Europe for sustainable and just societies and for the protection of the environment. We are the largest grassroot environmental network in Europe, uniting 32 national organisations with thousands of local groups as part of Friends of the Earth International. Our vision is of a peaceful and sustainable world, founded on social, economic, racial, gender and environmental justice and free from all forms of domination and exploitation. Please see this website for more information.
We campaign with Friends of the Earth Europe member groups, both inside and outside the EU and work closely with allies in Brussels and at the national level.
We are looking for a campaigner for our work on Food, Agriculture and Nature, starting 10 January 2022 (ideally) and based in the FoEE office in Brussels.
The position is initially for a duration of 1 year (maternity leave cover) with the goal to extend to a permanent position if funding allows.
The campaigner will work within the Food, Agriculture and Biodiversity (FAB) Programme. Our work is embedded in our Food Sovereignty and Nature campaigns, which primarily focus on promoting food sovereignty and agroecology while resisting false solutions such as new GMOs or ‘lab meat’ as well as addressing the drivers of biodiversity loss and climate change, such as industrial factory farming and free trade deals. The coordination and exchange of information as well as common work with the member groups on the CAP and the EU Biodiversity Strategy are an important part of our programme work. We are looking to expand the coordination among member groups on resistance to large infrastructure projects as well as our advocacy on the upcoming reform of the Pesticides Directive.
- Engage in advocacy at EU and, where appropriate, member state level on policies relevant for the Programme (CAP, Biodiversity Strategy, factory farming and specifically on the Pesticides’ Directive reform);
- Develop and implement campaign activities, in close cooperation with partners and member groups;
- Coordinate activities and strategies with the FoEE network and key allies and build joint strategies in coalitions;
- Write or manage reports, press releases and other communication materials;
- Carry out planning, budgeting, fundraising and support the implementation of a multi-partner funding project (including monitoring and reporting);
- Represent FoEE externally, including to the media;
- Maintain an overview of the key relevant research, ideas, events and policy developments in the areas of nature and farming;
- Contribute to development of strategy and tactics of the Food, Agriculture and Biodiversity programme.
- Proven motivation, interest or experience in working with an NGO at EU or international level in the sectors of food, agriculture or nature;
- Experience in campaigning including the various responsibilities involved (fundraising, coordination, planning, action, advocacy);
- Creativity: able to think out of the box and find new ways to develop campaigns;
- Experience in dealing with stakeholders from different backgrounds;
- Experience in project management or event coordination including proven ability to effectively adjust plans to rapidly changing circumstances;
- Good understanding of problems related to food and nature;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English;
- Commitment to FoEE’s vision, mission and values;
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team;
- Motivation to exchange with and learn from colleagues;
- Flexibility: able to attend evening/weekend meetings and undertake travel.
This position is offered as a full-time position, however, can also be negotiated as an 80% position. We offer a salary between 2620€ and 3868€ gross, depending on a competency assessment. We offer the position for 12 months.
FoE Europe offers an attractive benefits package, including a 13th month salary, lunch vouchers, an additional 5 days of holidays per year, pension scheme, hospitalisation and comprehensive travel insurance. We also offer full coverage of train travel in case of commuting within Belgium. FoE Europe offers a motivating working environment in an international NGO and office located in an environmentally-friendly NGO building.
Conditions are according to Belgian legislation; hence the position is open solely to persons with the right to live and work in the EU. The team member needs to be based in Belgium and the job can be done partially from home according to FoEE’s relevant policy.
Friends of the Earth Europe actively welcomes candidates of all descriptions, regardless of age, sexual orientation, marital status, wealth, religious, philosophical or political beliefs, language, present or future state of health, disability, physical or genetic characteristics, gender, pregnancy, parental status, change of sex, nationality, race, skin colour, ancestry, nationality, descent, national or ethnic or social origin. FoE Europe strives to make our office as diverse as possible.
Send your motivation letter and your CV, as well as a short document (max 500 words) describing the following: your wish or vision for the future (2030) in the field of Food, Agriculture or Nature, by 1 November 2021 to: email@example.com
Interviews are scheduled for the third and fourth week of November, a remote written test (duration max 1.5 hours) will have to be done during the second or third week of November.
We will acknowledge reception of your application and inform you when the recruitment process has been finalised.